Friday, April 16, 2010

Exclusive Club.

I recently caught up with a longtime colleague to discuss the structure of our 2011 supplier contract. Nothing unusual in that, aside from Jenny (her real name) and I having known each other for nearly 30 years. Across a range of occupations for both of us and many different business scenarios we figured out early, that it would be fun and successful to continue the business relationship no matter where we worked. A lot of this had to do with respect, integrity and a transparency of thinking that allows us to be honest with ourselves before we discuss any business.

So I ask you, how many people do you know in your business life, that have remained a constant over the longest period ?

I was always a believer in people before product and brand. This has stood me in great stead, and surrounded me, with a network of people bound by trust that has lasted my whole business life. Products and brands will come and go in profile and profitability but the people you can trust with your reputation and credibility are few and far between.

Jenny and I are a good example, as we have both worked for companies that either don’t exist anymore or are no longer trading in Australia but that never stood in the way of a continuing business relationship. Working in an industry with a perceived transcience it is too easy to cut ties, especially if people end up in opposition camps. It takes work to keep the ties close and the the rewards speak for themselves.

So the great long term business relationships aren’t there just to be tolerated and used when appropriate, like some members of your family. I’m sure your Uncle Charlie comes to mind with his insistence to play Stairway to Heaven on the accordion at every family gathering.

These relationships form the cornerstone of good business, are to be cherished and held in the highest esteem, going beyond being Uncle Charlies. We spend an inordinate amount of time at the workplace, so it behooves us to work with like minded people of integrity to make it worthwhile on a business and personal level every day.

Again I say, you can always earn another dollar but you can’t get back the last ten minutes, so spend it with the right people. Thirty years seems a long time but who’s to say the next person you meet won’t join that exclusive club, starting today.

I recently formed a great business relationship via a professional online network ( who knew !). I can see it will grow to be long term and both of us will enjoy the benefits regardless of where we work or what business we end up in.

Be open to ideas and people, work at the relationship and you might be surprised what you get in return.

1 comment:

Gail said...

As seems to happen all of the time, I completely agree with your comments! I started in The Industry over 30 years in a different country but have stayed in touch with friends made during that time including my very first Travel Agency boss. Here in Oz I have been very privileged to be mentored by, work with and come in to contact with some wonderfully exceptional people. People who have influenced me professionally as well as personally. I count myself blessed and always look forward to future possibilities!

Real Time Web Analytics