Monday, November 15, 2010

I need a fix.

I don't know what I was thinking. It's been four days now and the symptoms are getting worse. The slight tremor in my thumb and forefinger I noticed two days ago has spread and the rest of my fingers are all shaking to the extent I've had to cover up by continually giving the Hawaiian "Hang Loose" sign so no one will notice. Like a bad case of caffeine withdrawal or worse no new episodes of Keeping up with the Kardashians I'm having to put up with the worst cold turkey treatment you could expect in today's speed obsessed society, no mobile phone.

Admittedly I'm on holidays and the decision to try and go "Robinson Crusoe" on the mobile technology seemed easy in the beginning but like all decisions made under the influence of alcohol the sobering facts are not what I expected. Who knew after all these years of hanging around the "Apple" corner waiting for my next fix of technology "Apps" that the plan all along, was to get me addicted so badly that the smallest separation from my mobile friend would cause inexorable pain.

Apple has become the worst of all dealers and enablers and I'm now casting a furtive eye around the pool in case somone has left their iPhone lying unattended. I know what you're thinking, get a grip and go attend an IA (information anonymous) meeting but they don't start till tomorrow and I'm not sure I can last another day.

The guy next to me has just pulled his phone out of his beach bag and is casually chatting and texting with his friends. I wonder if I buy him an umbrella drink, will he let me hold it for a while. It's only a Nokia but it could help. The smallest touch brings back the rush and excitement of being in contact with the world. Yet the surge of power causing through my brain cells as I my fingers caress the "iglass" and slide back and forth looking for the "App" that's going to get me through the morning is an incredible feeling and one the Nokia guy will never know.

There, right there, an unattended iPhone by the pool bar. Could I be so bold, can I have sunk so low, yes I need it now as the need for a quick text overcomes my moral compass, I casually head for the bar. Too late some pimply teenager has picked it up and is maniacally texting his girlfriend or "Apple" dealer for a new plan or "App".

Will I survive two weeks in the Maui sun, will the Hula dancers be enough of a distraction or will my life spiral into a deep well of technology hell? Steve Jobs I curse the day you were born all the while knowing you are the enabler of choice for my future.

Aloha.

2 comments:

Michael Green said...

Aloha Oli....and know how you feel - I have recently returned from Will's wedding in Europe and yes I couldn't drop my iPhone nor Mac/FB habit!

Hasn't the world become a place of the here and now experience.

OK I must say it - stop the twitching! .... and if you can't have a look at our new website.....enjoy

David Walton said...

Get a grip, it's called separation anxiety (he types smugly from his Samsung Galaxy S while enjoying chicken wings and a margarita at the Sugar Lounge on Manly Beach!) (-;

Real Time Web Analytics