Thursday, February 10, 2011

"E" Everything.

I'm talking about technology. I'm talking about early adoption of all things gadget. I'm talking about always wanting the next best thing that needs electricity. It's not just a guy thing or boys toys syndrome because the whole world seems to be going crazy over every new invention or innovation update that comes along in the "E" market.

The recent consumer electronics show in Las Vegas got worldwide coverage and every minute was transmitted via some kind of communication channel from old style media morning TV shows to tweets and blogs. It is the Oscars of the "E" world and everyone who is anyone looks to get a speaking gig or have the most innovative booth showing off their wares. Now being the gadget guy of the family, shows like this are a focus for what I might spend my hard earned dollars on in 2011.

The issue is of course I had already spent hard earned dollars in 2010 on new technology that is now old generation. So how do I justify the next outlay of cash on something that will be replaced or outdated even quicker than it was in 2010? Or a better question would be, should I wait for the next best thing and how long will that be and what will it be? Will the speed of change in the "E" world be so quick that I won't be able to keep up or make a decision?

Leading futurists like Cisco Systems, Human Productivity Labs, Technorati, IBM and California Berkeley University have all proffered visions of our future under the "E" cloud and there look to be watershed years ahead for my wallet when it comes to the next "E" purchase.

With data to increase to obscene numbers we can look forward to carrying smaller and smaller technology. With the world's data to increase six fold within each of the next two years storage is envisioned to multiply to such an extent that 11 petabytes of storage, equalling 600 years of 24/7 playing DVD quality video, will cost only $100 by 2029. By 2020 individuals will maintain personal data equivalent to 130 terabytes, making the 128 gigabytes stored today seem inconsequential. I haven't filled my 128 gigabyte quota so I better start now if I want to fill my profile up with useful or useless information.

Within the next decade a $1000 personal computer will have the raw processing power of the human brain, not mine obviously because I'm having problems just processing the numbers put forward for the future. I guess we'll need such PCs as the Internet is slated to double in information every 11 hours within a few years. Now I'm really having trouble keeping up.

So my quandary remains as to when and what to buy in regards to the next great thing. The prediction that by 2020, 35 billion devices will be connected to the Internet, meaning 6 devices per person, could be an indicator of costs coming down even more, which could make my quandary disappear in a cloud of cheap purchases.

I hope some of these predictions come true because it's not cheap being the early adopter "E" guy in the family.

No comments:

Real Time Web Analytics