Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Learnings.

Last week, on a domestic work trip, I went through the airport metal detector and I beeped. I hate to beep, in fact I make it a rule never to beep. To that end, I have my process mapped out long before I get to the detector gate. It involves carry on luggage only, with all my keys and jangly bits inside, never carrying change, slip on shoes in a tray, watch and phones in my shoes, all my technology in trays and always a cheery hello to the security people. It also involves getting in the right line and thankfully with the amount of travel I do, that usually means the priority line. Of course that is everywhere except in Western Australia, where there are so many priority miners and oil and gas workers flying, the general public line is often shorter.

So I'm in line with carry on luggage, 3 trays and a backpack. Only I forget one of the trays with the iPad, because I still have to carry a laptop as my employer like so many others, has not grasped the world is turning Apple, and go back through the detector gate to put it onto the conveyor belt. I of course had already picked up my phone on the other side, not wanting a rogue miner to steal it, put it in my pocket and walked back to take care of the iPad. Then back through the gate beeping like I'm carrying a bomb! Back out to put the phone into a tray and back through the gate. Having now passed through the gate 5 times, do the maths, I look like a naive first time tourist with my belongings scattered along the length of the conveyor belt, and not the confident road warrior I want to exude heading towards the safety of the lounge.

Sometimes the things you've learned and the processes you put into place, while you travel, break down but you never stop learning and refining. I enjoy watching other travellers and learning from their mistakes and successes in navigating what has become a complex journey from my front door and back again.

Things such as turning on the phone the second you land, so as to have scanned all the messages before the plane reaches the gate. Accruing miles not for any free trips but having the little perks of recognition, lounge serenity, time savings, priority lines and the ability to check to the last minute at the lounge, for any seat with an empty seat next to it. Taking note, if by chance you drive to the airport, of where you parked your car because any trip over three days affects that long term parking memory. Always wear shoes to the plane toilet because bare feet and socks along with bad aim are not a good combination.
Figure out a way to uniquely identify your black luggage on the carousel without it looking like your Mother packed your bag and tied that yellow ribbon on. We should all travel with luggage envy, for that will distill the suitcase image down to the most efficient baggage available.

There are countless lists to peruse, online and in travel guides everywhere, but none of the information is a salient as what your learn from the mistakes made travelling yourself. Once you have your list, your processes, your style, you have the opportunity to give back and enjoy travel, even when it is for work. A stoppage by a tourist in Perth recently, asking directions that I could answer, gave me great satisfaction that work travel was more than just hotels and meeting rooms. Yet I struggle with the familiarity that return travel to places brings. The conundrum being I don't want to feel as comfortable on the road as I do at home, regardless of all the procedures I put into place to make things easier on myself. George Bernard Shaw put it simply when noting his proclivity for being home , "I dislike feeling at home when I'm abroad".

So no matter how interesting or exciting a destination can be, it's always good to be home. No metal detectors there.

No comments:

Real Time Web Analytics