Tuesday, October 9, 2012

One person with passion is better than forty people merely interested.

The above quote is from English novelist E. M. Forster and I mention it today as I find myself short of ideas, passion and stories to write about. I ask myself who cares, I quickly come back with my answer, I care and this gets me thinking about what creates and drives passion in people? Whatever you are passionate about and lucky enough to do for a living or even a hobby, has limits and sometimes you run out of steam and just can't seem to find that zeal, to get out of bed, go to work, go for a workout or call your best friend. So how do you rekindle that passion, and I'm not talking romantic moonlit dinner, but about refocusing your desire to accomplish, be authentic, regain purpose and re-like what you like?

The surfeit of psychiatrists, social psychologists and self help gurus who comment on our lives, have libraries dedicated to ways we can zero in on our passionate core and many offer up opinions but we are more attuned to listening to admired leaders or people close to us. People like Richard Branson never miss an opportunity to opine on passion and his work history gives credence to someone who found his essence and indulged all the way to success. From Richard through to Obama, there is no shortage of achieving archetypes to chose from and it is good they are willing to open up and expose their feelings for others to learn from.

From aspirational lists, through jobs with purpose and the way of Buddha, people are constantly looking for ways to find that spark to accelerate them to the next level, the next best thing and bring an accord of achievement. For me it's less about the leaders and more about my peers who spur me on by way of their own determination, commitment and stories. People leading extraordinary lives based on their passion for work, for helping others, learning, educating and being a pillar to their tribe of family and friends. Yet sometimes it's just up to me and then I need to find ways of obtaining that spark again.

As morbid as it sounds, envisaging your own funeral brings with it an appropriateness and exactitude for honesty hearing your eulogy wrapping up your life's accomplishments, finding out where you made a difference, brought smiles to people, generally succeeded and elucidating your search for the missing passion. The clarity of death brings with it a focus not evident in day to day activities but don't dwell on the dark side. I also think about what I could be teaching people and this again brings back focus to my commitments. Daydreaming about what I wanted to be when I grow up or what I want to do next year can also articulate and scrutinise my thinking to refocus that inner amplitude of passion. Self analysis of this kind, brings out the best in you, if you bench mark yourself against relevant and passionate high achievers.

The more conversations I have with myself, the more I fixate appropriately on the challenge at hand, getting my arse into gear and doing what I enjoy most with the passion it deserves. I'm back.

I know, you didn't think I was gone.

No comments:

Real Time Web Analytics