Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Empty seats.

I love a good Olearyism from the head of Ryan Air but they should all be taken with a grain of marketing salt.

He has been a bit quiet lately but a recent article on extra fees for what used to be normal seats took me back to the standing room idea at the back of a Ryan Air plane and how funny that would look. Passengers hanging onto roof straps and maybe balancing on some kind of stool makes for an interesting picture. As is the case it generated a lot of publicity and kept Ryan Air in the media.

What companies need to be mindful of, is getting negative publicity for carrying out fee structure initiatives that Michael O’Leary may get a laugh for, but others haven’t really thought through.

Paying extra for aisle or exit seats doesn’t sit well (note clever use of pun) with many flyers when they have already paid for an inclusive air ticket. It’s interesting that full service carriers are adding fees without a so called enterprise bargain with their clients. Okay charge extra for a specific seat but give me something in return, monetarily or otherwise. It has been noted that aircraft are flying around with empty aisle seats. Almost makes the middle seat worthwhile, doesn’t it.

So it got me to thinking about what I would be prepared to pay extra for, on a long flight?

I have to say a lot of it would be normal inclusions on business class but seeing as I don’t own my own bank I’m relegated to the back.

I’d pay for better food, even if I could chose from an extended online menu (pre boarding) that would forever ban the old chicken or beef cliché. I’d pay for wider seats with more than an extra inch of pitch. If airlines are finding that aisle and exit row fees are dissuading passengers anyway, then why not take out some rows and get a premium payment for all good seats. I’d even consider paying for better entertainment options, how big could you get a screen in economy? 300 people with 3D glasses would be funny looking but the visual experience could be worth paying for?

I’d even pay for better service with staff that were sincere. What about working for tips? I know I have received better service in certain bars (not that kind of bar) because exceptional service equaled exceptional tips. I can’t believe Richard hasn’t thought about that.

So what would you be prepared to pay extra for?

I have 3 copies of Michelle Bowden’s new book on Presentation Skills to give away to the best, even funniest suggestions for airline fees.

Richard Branson is not allowed to comment but he can use any idea we come up with.

1 comment:

Gail said...

LOL! Gee, alot of the things you'd pay extra for are available in QF Premium economy so you're off to a good start. ;-)
I already pay extra to have access to separate checkin and use of a lounge by being in Qantas Club so that's a tick (and I get extra baggage allowance too so a bonus there). I would pay extra for a guaranteed aisle seat in the first cabin of economy class. And I would DEFINITELY pay extra for a guaranteed empty overhead compartment when I got to my seat! Because when you are sitting in that first cabin of economy you get to board the plane last. And sure as shootin’ some witless wonder sitting 20 rows back has lobbed all of his/her stuff into the first empty overhead they see (probably because they have enough carryon for a small army on deployment to Afghanistan). It drives me insane and while I would never have a confrontation with a stranger in my on-the-ground life I will if my baggage won’t fit above my head. Okay. Deep breath.
Sorry for the rant. Bottom line, for me would be how much would I pay for these privileges? How much is my sanity worth? Hmmm. Excuse me but I need to go out and buy a Powerball ticket!

Real Time Web Analytics