Thursday, February 18, 2010

Rockin' Robin.

Tweet Tweet.

I know, I know, get on board and tell the world what you think about everything. When did we all get opinions on everything? I was brought up in the quiet child era, of speak when spoken to and watch out if you spoke out of turn.

Now I have so many avenues to voice my many and varied opinions on everything, from what I ate last night to what I think of the latest government initiative, that I’ve run out of things to say. From late flights to mice in your room, to shoddy service and the ever ubiquitous airport stuff up it seems we are willing to open ourselves to the world and have a whine whenever we feel like it.

Director Kevin Smith was recently off loaded form a Southwest flight for being too fat and didn’t the airline feel his wrath as the tweets flew fast and furious. I guess they fly; it is about birds, right?

Southwestern unfortunately didn’t handle the situation with aplomb and honesty and have paid the price of bad publicity, 140 characters at a time. A bit like, the death of a thousand paper cuts. It doesn’t seem like much at the time but those tweets added up to an avalanche of bird droppings that the airline couldn’t dodge.

Is everyone as powerful and can we all bring, multinationals to their knees with the flick of a thumb? RJ Metrics determined that about 25% of Twitter accounts have no followers and about 40% of accounts have never sent a tweet. They also indicated that about 80% of all Twitter accounts have tweeted fewer than 10 times.

With those kinds of statistics I think the airlines are safe and maybe tweets by people like Kevin Smith are akin to the odd shark attack that is so infrequent but very emotional and frightening that we all stop to look and listen.

I just had a great business meeting and am now sitting at the bar with a beer. Really? Who cares?

I do but I am certainly not vain enough to worry if no one else does.

I could tweet this but if no one listens did I tweet?

1 comment:

Gail said...

Hmmm.I think you underestimate yourself (as far as having followers is concerned). Maybe you should just be posting bit.ly links to your blog posts. You have a very interesting take on issues (imho!). As they say, "it won't happen overnight but it will happen"! ;-)

Real Time Web Analytics