Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Grunt Work.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I am as connected as can be, from smart phones to iPads to any technology nearby, I will connect and communicate whenever necessary and sometimes when it's not. This is the world today, not just the future, and there are few moments or locations when I am not in communication mode or within range of a WiFi zone. Having said that, there are times I enjoy leaving everything behind, especially while exercising, either on long runs with the iPod playing my favourite running tracks or at the gym trying to figure out the latest equipment that will have me looking ready for the Summer ahead.

This is not so for everyone and while I barely get through my weight sets without passing out from exertion, many people continue to text and call while throwing around heavy equipment, which always brings a wry smile to my face. My understanding of the need to stay connected battles with my requirement to concentrate on what I'm doing in the gym and I wait for the day a treadmill throws an unwary emailer off the tracks. I wonder how much energy is expended on the phones versus the technology equipment. Curling while texting at my local gym is common practice with people barely out of breath in case a call comes through.

The two camps of opinions are polarising the gym sector with some gyms siting safety issues and going so far as banning mobiles, but with almost everyone having music or apps such as Gym Buddy or Cruncho Meter on their phones it's hard to say no when a phone is strapped to an arm with earplugs. In the end gyms are not cinemas or libraries and grunts and groans from fitness buffs will continue to mix it with phone calls that couldn't wait another 30 minutes.

The other aspect of smart phones that is causing gym owners concern, is the "Funniest Home Video" syndrome as privacy and security come into play for people not in their comfort zone doing ridiculous things to stay in shape or worse, scantily dressed or undressed in the locker room. For most people, their gym look, is the least attractive and the last thing they want, is to find themselves on YouTube or Facebook going viral because their spandex didn't quite hold everything in place. YouTube is awash with inappropriate gym videos of unsuspecting barbell junkies in a zone of their own.

So the challenge for gyms and similar establishments, is deciding on appropriate mobile protocol to be used between the racks of weights and stair master machines that will enhance people's exercise regimes while not mandating against use that will drive customers to another gym.

The ubiquitous nature of the smart phone will continue to challenge establishments like gyms and in the future will no longer be absent from even the "shush" areas of libraries and cinemas. How do you say no, to life's communication enabler when we've all decided to start talking at once? Good luck with that.

No comments:

Real Time Web Analytics