Thursday, January 19, 2012

New Job.

Following on from the previous article, I thought I'd escape the tech race (rat is so last century) and look for an occupation more suited to my style and grace with less impetus on ticking someone else's box and more about what I want to do. My first port of call was the annual list, from CareerCast, on the most and least stressful jobs available, to see if any fitted my profile. That profile includes low stress levels, late to work, early to leave, 8 weeks annual leave and public holidays from all countries in the UN, Bill Gates like remuneration, office masseuse and free lunches.

Like many I was prepared to compromise on a couple of must haves, after all the end game was less stress, so why start aggressive in negotiations? The most stressful job list was perhaps the easiest to tackle, so I at east knew what to avoid. From the obvious soldier, firefighter, pilot and police officer to taxi drivers, I encountered a couple that bring new appreciation of the tasks at hand. Seems event planners along with PR and senior executives lead a life of stress induced danger brought on by expectations that disaster recovery belongs to you and that everyday you have return on investment thrown in your face. How easy to end up bitter, twisted, tortured and stressed when you are only recognised by mistakes?

Throw in jobs I'd never get, like emergency doctors and nurses along with marriage counselors and the list of what I don't want to be when I grow up, is extensive. Interestingly some of the least stressful jobs are also in the above medical field where records and laboratory technicians at number 1 and 5 give cause for concern the next time I need accurate up to date medical information.

As I look down the list of least stressful jobs, a couple jump out at me, shouting Ollie, you can do this. Can I see myself in "salon O" working on your coiffure, what about measuring your inside leg (a whole raft of possibilities spring up here) or even restuffing your couch? Hairdressing, tailor and upholsterer are at the top of the no stress and tension list accounting no doubt accounting for the long waiting lists at TAFE for the couch stuffing course.

Others to make the list are audiologist and precision assembler, neither of which I know much about, but if they include less tension and enmity, then a lifestyle of putting stuff together with precision is the life for me. Interestingly no stress jobs of the past, like hippie, pirate, Mr Whippy driver and Minister for Racing and Gaming made the grade, no doubt due to long waiting lists indicating those "professions" are now out of the question.

If I look closely at the full list of least stressful jobs, one thing is obvious, they are jobs of passion and people approach them with a different attitude than the daily grind, daily commute, daily struggle jobs. The old adage of never having to work a day in your life if your hobby or passion is your work, still rings true for those in the less stress list. So if you are serious about that next job being "the one" then consider following that passion and find people you want to work with, create your own brand and values, stick with it while designing your future and all the while travel to the beat of your own drum.

If that life job is never going to float your boat, then you need to look at what you can do now, that will derive some passion and bring a spark to your work. You don't have to be like everyone else, even in a factory setting. That drum in your head can still beat to the rhythm of your own song and you can still make a difference. Bring that couch stuffing attitude wherever you work.

1 comment:

Jo said...

So true Ollie - having spent 17 years in career development, you can never get past passion. You can ignore it, and squash it, but this will result in you being somewhat less than you wanted to be. great insights!

Real Time Web Analytics