Thursday, March 25, 2010

P76.

The above is a test of time and memory about things that didn’t work very well.

It’s hard nowadays to buy stuff that doesn’t work. Everything I own does the job I bought it for. Even the $2 shop will supply you with products that do the job as expected, per the price you pay. When was the last time you bought something considered rubbish?

Like most I had complaints in the past about items that didn’t come up to scratch and disappointed in their performance. This had nothing to do with my not reading the manual. As a guy I’m wired with McGyver genes, that I should be able to build or operate anything. A bit like any 12 year old on the streets today who can put together and navigate the new phone and internet technology.

Even the old chestnut of made in China doesn’t mean the same thing anymore. Just look at Lenovo or just about every high fashion item you wear and consider Rio Tinto’s recent $400M order for Chinese mining equipment.

The same can be said of travel. Flying has become commoditised for the majority of us and even the lowest fare will get you to your destination, eventually. Ubiquitous hotels spring up without much imagination but they do supply what you pay for, a bed. Cars, well what can you say about 4 doors, 4 wheels. It’s not always about finding that $45 fare.

So if everything works and you get the product you pay for, why do people pay more to work with particular people or products? People aren’t stupid; you can’t charge exorbitant prices and not deliver.

I have everything I need in my daily life. There is nothing else I need, to do my work effectively. Yet the products I use and the people I deal with are not run of the mill, commoditised or just slightly out of the ordinary.

Now that I have everything I need, I’ve stopped buying products and I’m now buying stories and relationships. I’m prepared to pay more for what speaks to me and my worldview. It’s not about labels but about what the relationship with products and people mean to you.

So there will always be room for fabulous travel companies, relationships built around great stories and products that fuel your imagination. When was the last time you were amazed at the quality of a product or surprised by service? These are the people and products you should be living with.

Look for remarkable (thank you Seth Godin), look for extraordinary and look for stories that enrich you and the products you use.

Careful, life is short.

No comments:

Real Time Web Analytics