Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Still Crazy.

Recently I checked my seats online for an international flight and was pleased to see some exit row seats still available. I clicked on the seat icon and a $45 price tag slapped me in the face. The McOllie in me came out and I settled for an aisle seat further back in the plane. Having haggled with the airline over the initial price of the ticket, my mental barrier to spend more was well and truly up.

I know, I know, I should get used to fees and that they are here to stay. Yet my thinking wasn’t only spurred on by my aversion to open my wallet but also that anyone can now buy those exit row seats.

I find it interesting when airlines hide behind safety regulations when it suits them and flip the coin on safety and charge when it suits them.

Would I be cheesed (this is a family blog) if someone incapable of operating the safety equipment in the exit rows encumbered my egress? (That’s plane talk for get out of my way) Most certainly and I would think litigation would ensue (figuring you get off the plane). Boston Legal has a lot to answer for.

Time was the exit row was offered at check-in, if you were a multi platinum frequent flyer or had a great chat up line for the check-in attendant. Notice I didn’t say chick, I leave that for when I go to Woolies or Coles.

All the above obviously dependant on you being healthy and able to assist in an emergency. Okay so no broken legs, no bad backs, no limbs in bandages, no one over a certain age (I’m careful here not to discount myself too early) and no one of a large dimension (so PC).

So playing the Capt. Obvious card made it relatively easy for check-in to allocate those seats.

Yet what about mental state and the capacity to think straight in an emergency? How would check-in account for that when allocating exit seats? Maybe a quick 12 question medical survey going into your family history and discovering looney Uncle George, who took his financial advice from Daffy Duck and ate blindfolded. How closely related are you Mr Tams?

So it’s scary all round really, which makes me think that it doesn’t matter who buys those seats. Why not charge even more? That way you’ll be able to tell immediately if someone is unstable or unsuitable to sit in those seats. You’d have to be crazy to pay $500 for an exit row seat.

Wouldn’t you?

1 comment:

Gail said...

Ha! Crazy like a fox I'd say. The interesting thing is to wonder whether the airline has the right to move a person who has paid for those exit row seats if they are obviously NOT suitable to assist in an emergency - like the Senior citizen who has a walking stick and is clearly going to have a problem helping open that door. And gee, wouldn't those be wonderful seats for someone like the underpants bomber?

Of course come the time when we are all checking in online or at airport kiosks there will be no one to actually vet the people in those strategic seats anyway so then what happens?

As for me, I will not be sitting there: when (God forbid!) the time comes, I want OFF as quickly as possible- no hanging around to "help" for me!

Real Time Web Analytics